After being stuck in second place in the total medal count for the past week or so, the United States was finally able to pull past China by a good margin with 81 total medals to China's 77. America received a huge boost in the medal count Wednesday by winning seven of the possible 12 gold medals of the day.
As the Olympics are winding down America hopes to hold and build on their lead in events like Men's basketball.
Here's the complete medal count thus far, courtesy of SI.com:
- United States 81 (34 gold, 22 silver, 25 bronze)
- China 77 (36 gold, 22 silver, 19 bronze)
- Russia 52 (11 gold, 19 silver, 22 bronze)
- Great Britain 48 (22 gold, 13 silver, 13 bronze)
- Germany 32 (7 gold, 15 silver, 10 bronze)
For a complete schedule of events and dates medals will be awarded, visit NBC Sports' official Olympic website. For complete coverage from the 2012 London Olympics, keep checking this StoryStream and visit SB Nation's Olympics hub.