"We Shall Not Forget" will be a common slogan around Nationals Park on Sunday, as the Washington Nationals honor and pay tribute to those that lost their lives 10 years ago in the terrorist attacks that shocked and awoke a whole nation. It will most notably be presented on two on-field logos that will be just outside the two dugouts at Nationals Park, one pictured here.
The on-field logos are far from the only thing the Nationals will be doing on Sunday. The team has a whole schedule of honorariums and patriotic events that should make the 10 year anniversary of the September 11th attacks on Washington D.C. and New York memorable.
Some of these include:
- The Nationals will be wearing their patriotic uniforms.
- The MLB-silhouetted batter will be symbolically covered on all jerseys to respectfully feature the U.S. flag.
- A moment of silence will be had to observe the victims of the attacks.
- A special public service announcement featuring First Lady Michelle Obama will be shown encouraging fans to honor 9/11 heroes by volunteering for community service projects.
- In-game military tributes
- Commemorative base jewels and line up cards will be used and MLB's 9/11 Remembrance logo will be featured in the ballpark.
Fans are encouraged to come out to the ballpark and all of D.C., but come early as extra security precautions are being taken in and around the park.
(Photo taken by me last night)