Before we get to the the things to know about Evan Royster, the Penn State running back selected by the Washington Redskins in the sixth round of the 2011 NFL Draft, we have to note that he said the following things in his first media conference since being picked:
- He was originally a Dallas Cowboys fan, and is now "just a little bit" a Redskins fan.
- His favorite Redskins player is Deion Sanders, who is universally known as one of the biggest busts in team history.
- He is looking forward to playing with Donovan McNabb
Yikes. Pretty rough start. Anyway, here are four other things to learn about him.
1. He's a local kid: Royster grew up in Fairfax, VA, and went to high school at Westfield in Chantilly. In fact, his family is still in the area, and his mother is a teacher at the school.
2. He is Penn State's all-time leading rusher. He has rushed for over 1,000 yards in three straight seasons, and totaled 3,932 yards and 29 touchdowns in his career. Penn State has had some good running backs too (Ki-Jana Carter, Larry Johnson, Franco Harris, Blair Thomas, Curtis Enis, Lenny Moore and many others).
3. He inadvertently put a lot of pressure on himself. He admitted that Mike Shanahan told him that he reminded him of Terrell Davis, also a sixth-round pick. No pressure, kid.
4. He is a "smooth" runner. Well, at least that's the buzzword you hear a lot in this great video profile of him.