The D.C. Summer sports scene just got a new headliner. Manchester United will face FC Barcelona in a preseason game at FedEx Field on July 30 at 7 p.m. as part of a five game American tour. The press release from Manchester United refers to the matchup against Barcelona as "mouth-watering." From D.C. United's official press release:
"We’re very pleased to include this marquee match-up in our full season ticket package," said United President & CEO Kevin Payne. "Our fans will now not only enjoy a great slate of D.C. United games, including MLS regular season games and matches against Ajax and Everton, but will also be able to see two of the biggest clubs in the world against one another."
The game counts as a Special Game C for Season ticket holders, according to the team's website. It is the finale of Manchester United's five-game American tour. Here are the other dates:
- July 13 vs. New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium in Boston
- July 20 vs. Seattle Sounders at Qwest Field in Seattle
- July 23 vs. Chicago Fire at Soldier Field in Chicago
- July 27 vs. MLS All Stars, Red Bulls Arena, New Jersey
- July 30 vs. FC Barcelona, Fedx Field, Landover