clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

D.C. United Vs. Colorado Rapids: United Down 1-0 At Halftime, Davies Leaves Injured

We are at halftime here at RFK Stadium, and right now Drew Moor's 23rd minute goal is what separates the Colorado Rapids from D.C. United, as the visitors are in front 1-0. But the biggest story of the evening is that Charlie Davies left the game in the 34th minute with what appears to be a hamstring injury. The extent of the injury is not yet clear, but it could be a hammer blow to whatever chance Davies had of making the U.S. roster in this summer's CONCACAF Gold Cup. U.S. National Team Manager Bob Bradley is in attendance tonight, and is watching the game from the D.C. United director's box.

Davies was substituted in favor of Santino Quaranta after pulling up lame and eventually sitting in the center circle while play went on in United's defensive end. He appeared to tell the two trainers that went out to see him that he could not continue and walked off the field under his own power. He briefly had his right leg worked on by a trainer before watching the rest of the first half with a towel over his head.

According to the club's official Twitter account, Davies was subbed off with a tight hamstring. We'll see if we can get a more complete report after the match.

Before exiting the field, Davies had looked fairly threatening for United. He had the ball in the Colorado net in the 7th minute after finishing a through ball from Chris Pontius, but assistant referee Steven Taylor correctly ruled the striker offside. In the 11th minute, Davies' strike partner Josh Wolff sent a through ball to Davies, but the New Hampshire native's first touch was disastrous and skittered harmlessly out of play for a goal kick.

Wolff, who was substituted for Joseph Ngwenya in the 43rd minute after picking up an injury, had United's best legitimate chance of the match, heading wide of Matt Pickens' goal off a Dax McCarty free kick.

Moor's goal came as a result of a Jamie Smith free kick from the left midfield area after referee Terry Vaughn ruled that Perry Kitchen had fouled Moor. Smith's initial ball was knocked down, but not cleared by United's defense, and Moor beat Ethan White to the loose ball and sidefooted it past Bill Hamid. Making things even worse for United, Moor could have easily been sent off by Vaughn after the defender appeared to trip McCarty, who was racing to collect a through ball from midfield. However, apparently concluding that Moor had not denied a clear goal-scoring opportunity, Vaughn let Moor off with a red card, which in turn rendered United's players and head coach Ben Olsen apoplectic.