clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

D.C. United Vs. Toronto FC Score: Wild Night At RFK Ends 3-3 After Dwayne De Rosario Hat Trick

DC United has struggled to score goals recently at RFK Stadium. They didn't tonight, but unfortunately neither did their opponents. In a match that saw its share of twists and turns, 3-3 was the final score.

After creating several chances in the first half and dominating possession early in the second with two offensive-minded substitutions, Toronto FC finally got the goal they were looking for in the 52nd minute. Reserve goalkeeper Steve Cronin gave a two-handed punch to a long cross from Toronto's impressive rookie Joao Plata, but the attempted clearance bounced off center back Brandon McDonald, giving Toronto's Peri Marosevic the opportunity to cleanly finish the play with a back heel into the net.

Fortunately for United, Dwayne De Rosario was not done scoring against his former teams. As the ball skipped past the foot of Andy Iro, De Rosario collected the ball and rounded Toronto goalkeeper Stefan Frei. De Rosario put the ball simply into the net with his left foot for his second goal of the night, and fifth of the season for United, all against teams he has played for in the past.

The match got even crazier though in the 69th minute. While United has trying to bring on defender Ethan White as a substitute for the injured McDonald, Toronto took a throw-in while referee Jasen Anno was apparently still trying to hold off the play. Confusion on the field led to an unprepared United allowing Julian de Guzman an open shot on goal that he put past a diving Cronin. A furious Ben Olsen was ejected from the game for arguing with the officials, but the goal would stand.

Toronto would move ahead late in the match as Danny Koevermans got his foot on the end of a corner kick. With Andy Iro creating havoc in front of the goal, the ball slipped underneath Cronin and into the net, yielding yet another error from the rarely used goalkeeper.

But Iro created havoc once again in the final minutes of the match, this time in front of Frei's goal. As D.C. substitute Austin da Luz charged into the box and forced a save from Frei, Iro plunged into the midfield, drawing a penalty kick for United. No one would be surprised as De Rosario stepped up to take it. United's hero for the night placed the ball just inside the right post to tie the score at 3-3.

After an extended period of extra time, Anno would blow the final whistle to the mixed sounds of cheers (for the home team) and boos (for the referee) to end one of the wildest games ever played at RFK Stadium.