After falling to Real Salt Lake by a score of 1-0 on Saturday night, the D.C. United now sit in sixth place in the Eastern Conference and one point out of a playoff spot (41 points, 27 games played). The loss marked the sixth consecutive road loss suffered by the club and allowed the Columbus Crew to leap-frog them in the standings.
Luckily, the United will receive a two week break after concluding a marathon schedule that saw the team participate in five matches over a two week span (1-2-2). They will resume action on Sept. 15 against the New England Revolution.
Listed below are the top-five teams in the Eastern Conference:
1. Sporting Kansas City; 50 points, 27 games played
2. New York Red Bulls; 46 points, 27 games played
3. Chicago Fire; 44 points, 26 games played
4. Houston Dynamo; 42 points, 27 games played
5. Columbus Crew; 42 points, 26 games played
For a complete list of standings for both conferences, click here.
For more on United, please be sure to check out our blog Black And Red United along with SB Nation DC for all the latest news and updates.