Now that the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic has been pushed back to Saturday evening, it provides more time to look at the Winter Classic by the numbers. ESPN posted some interesting statistics regarding the outdoor spectacle, but there is one intriguing fact that has been left out.
Via ESPN, here are some numbers regarding ticket sales to this year's Winter Classic.
- There are less than 150 tickets left for sale on StubHub as of Friday morning.
- This game is by far the top-selling NHL game of the season.
- On Monday, the average price of a ticket was $420, ranging in price from $199 to $1,350.
- The average price for a ticket to the 2010 Flyers-Bruins game was $420. The average price for the Red Wings-Blackhawks outdoor game in 2009 was $352.
- Demand was higher for this game than all of the other Winter Classics and already has outsold the previous games.
That's not all though. There have been three prior Winter Classics.
- 2008 - Pittsburgh Penguins v. Buffalo Sabres - Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo, New York.
- 2009 - Detroit Red Wings v. Chicago Blackhawks - Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois,
- 2010 - Philadelphia Flyers v. Boston Bruins - Fenway Park in Boston Massachusetts.
What do the 2008 Penguins, the 2009 Red Wings and the 2010 Philadelphia Flyers have in common? All three road teams went on to represent their respective conference in the Stanley Cup Finals. If history repeats itself, this will not be the last time that the Caps will play on a big stage this season.