Today is Opening Day, and the Nationals are facing the Braves. They just wrapped up the first inning of the season, here is everything you need to know.
- Ian Desmond is going to batting first for the Nationals this year, and they just need him to get on base for him to be successful. He responds with a strikeout looking in his first at-bat of the season.
- Jayson Werth gets a pretty good ovation from the crowd for his first at-bat. He hits a chopper over the head of Lowe that splits the infielders for a single. Good way to start the season for Werth. The future is now, people!
- Zimmerman hits a sharp single on the ground into right field. Werth shows off some of the new-found "athleticism" we've been hearing about this year by going first to third. The throw from Jason Heyward was cut off by the pitcher. Nats have men at the corners with one out.
- Adam LaRoche, the other new Nat in town, wastes a pretty good RBI opportunity by popping out to short right field.
- Michael Morse comes to bat. Bob Carpenter describes his Spring Training performance as "Nails," whatever that means. He then grounds out to the shortstop to end the inning, stranding the two runners. Nats trail by 1 after the first.